What's That Noise?! [Ian Kallen's Weblog]

Main | Next day (Dec 22, 2008) »

20081221 Sunday December 21, 2008

Python SVN Bindings, Trac and mod_python

I have some code I want to noodle on outside of work. Since I'm on a holiday break, I'm doing a bit of that (yes, this is what I do for fun, so?). In the past, I had used my own private CVS server for those kinds of things but these days, I could just as well live without CVS. I decided to roll a subversion server into my Apache build (the latest Apache + other modules aren't in the yum repositories for my distro, so I roll my own). While I'm putting a subversion server up, why not trac, too? Heh, that's where things got stuck.

When I installed the subversion dependencies (specifically, neon), I just used vanilla build params. After installing subversion, I was surprised that Trac couldn't access it. It turns out that the litmus test was this:

$ python
Python ...
>>> from svn import core
...it failed miserably. Various recompile efforts seemed to move the problem around. I saw a variety of the symptoms described in the Trac-Subversion integration docs troubleshooting section. The missing gss_delete_sec_context symbol error was apparently the telltale critical one, it originated from neon having been compiled without SSL support. The neon compile config that led to success was
./configure --enable-shared --enable-static --with-ssl=openssl 
Then the real key was to completely start over with the subversion compile, not just the swig python bindings.
make clean
./configure \
 --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.7 \
 --prefix=/usr/local \ 
 --with-apxs=/usr/local/httpd2.2.11/bin/apxs \
 --with-apr=/usr/local/apr \
make swig-py
make check-swig-py
make install
make install-swig-py
Only then did the litmus test above pass. One of the things about this setup that is kind of a nuisance is that the python bindings didn't get installed into site-packages, therefore mod_python was quite unhappy. Also, trac seemed to want to put its eggs in the root directory. So the Apache server's envvars script has these variables exported to work around those issues
The result (including the requisite httpd.conf tweaks) is a working subversion 1.54 and trac 0.11 setup. It was more fiddling for the evening than I'd hoped for and I'm not sure my foibles and remedies were optimal (clearly, I missed an RTFM somewhere) but I hope this resolution helps at least one reader.

Happy Hannukah and winter solstice!


( Dec 21 2008, 02:55:24 PM PST ) Permalink